Monday, September 7, 2009

The Ethics of Human Enhancement

Here is a new report on the ethics of human enhancement called "Ethics of Human Enhancement: 25 Questions & Answers". The report was released by the US National Science Foundation.

This is timely, given that I am soon going to a talk given by Julian Savulescu called "Unfit for Life: Genetically Enhance Humanity or Face Extinction". I will have to get a question ready for him. Stay tuned for the answer.

It starts with a section looking at the definitions and distinctions of enhancement (e.g. natural/artificial; internal/external; or therapy/enhancement distinctions). It then examines different contexts and scenarios; Freedom and Autonomy; Fairness and Equity; Societal Disruptions; Human Dignity and the Good Life; Rights and Obligations; and Policy and Law.

I sounds great, so I will have to have a more thorough read of the report (tonight.) I will write another post on the subject, once I have been to the lecture.


**If you enjoyed this post, please check out:

Overview of Biopolitics

What is nanotechnology?


COMMENTS ALWAYS WELCOME !!

.
So please, tell us what you think.

No comments: